4 years (2020-2023)
Ecosystem Natural Capital Accounting
- Burkina-Faso: Ministry of the Environment, Green Economy and Climate Change
- Guinea-Conakry: Ministry of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Morocco: Ministry of Energy, Mines and the Environment
- Niger: National Center for Ecological and Environmental Monitoring, Ministry of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Senegal: Centre de Suivi Ecologique, Ministry of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Tunisia: Ministry of the Environment
Regional Cooperation for New Ecosystem Natural Capital Accounting Indicators in Africa | Copernicea
The “Regional Cooperation for New Ecosystem Natural Capital Accounting Indicators in Africa | Copernicea” project aims to establish a national and regional network for sharing and exchanging information and data that are useful and necessary to the ENCA.
The structures holding or producing information and data will have to pool them and make them easily accessible for a wide variety of users. These data will be aligned and made available in formats for integration in ecosystem accounts.
At the end of the project, the six relevant French-speaking countries (Burkina Faso, Guinea-Conakry, Morocco, Niger, Senegal and Tunisia), will have their own and self-governing operational mechanism for Ecosystem Natural Capital Accounting (ENCA).
The purpose of Copernicea is to accomplish results that can be reproduced in other countries of the region
- French National Research Institute - IRD
Project completion date
July, 24th 2020
1st meeting of the Steering Committee
April, 12th 2021
1st regional workshop for exchange and result validation
November 29th - December, 2nd 2021
- 7 training sessions on the ENCA : 27 days of training ; 100 African experts trained
- Side event on ENCA, IUCN World Conservation Congress
- Side event on ENCA for Land Restoration in Africa, COP 15 on Desertification, May 13th 2022