5 years (2018 – 2022)
8,532,000 € including 327,500 € for the OSS
Enhancing food security in African agricultural systems with the support of remote sensing
AfriCultuReS is a regional project funded by the European Union (H2020) and implemented in eight (08) African countries by a consortium that includes 17 African and European organizations and universities.
The project aims to set up an integrated surveillance and early warning system to support decision-making in agriculture and food security in Africa.
At the regional level in Africa, the consortium has developed an Agricultural Geospatial Decision Support System (SADGA), which harnesses Earth Observation (EO)-based resources in support of food security decision-making. The system provides access to a great deal of operational products and services related to seven (07) topics: Climate, Agriculture, Drought, Land, Livestock, Water and Weather. The system, which relies on an innovative approach to data fusion from multiple sources (EO, in-situ monitoring, crowdsourcing, etc.), will help improve the services provided by current monitoring and early warning systems in Africa.
At the national level (Tunisia), the project has developed geo-spatial products and tools (maps, national geo-portal, etc.) for decision support in the agricultural sector and its related sectors. In the approach of the project, Tunisia represents the Mediterranean cultivation and production system of North Africa. The activities of the project in Tunisia are coordinated by the Sahara and Sahel Observatory (OSS) in close collaboration with three (03) national reference institutions involved in the development of remote sensing products in support of the monitoring of agricultural campaigns and food security: The National Center for Mapping and Remote Sensing - CNCT, The National Research Institute for Rural Engineering, Water and Forests - INRGREF and The National Observatory for Agriculture - ONAGRI.
- European Commission - EC
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (GR)
- Centre for GIS and Remote Sensing, Univ. of Rwanda (RW)
- Centre for Remote Sensing and GIS, Univ of Ghana (GH)
- Centre Régional AGRHYMET (NE)
- DRAXIS Environmental S.A. (GR)
- Euardo Mondlane University (MZ)
- GeoSAS (ET)
- GMV Aerospace and Defence S.A.U. (ES) - leader
- HCP International (NL)
- LocateIT (KE)
- Scuola di Ingegneria Aerospaziale. Sapienza University of Rome (IT)
- South African National Space Agency (ZA)
- Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SE)
- University of Leeds (UK)
- University of Sheffield (UK)
Exchange workshop on remote sensing
- Preparatory thematic studies:
- Study 1: Survey on the needs of end users in Tunisia
- Study 2: Statistical estimates of agricultural production: classic methods vs. remote sensing approaches
- Study 3: Agricultural systems in Tunisia: risks and socio-economic aspects
- Study 4: Operational modeling of crop growth and yield estimate
- Agricultural model for forecasting agricultural yields in Tunisia
- Land cover map of Tunisia and its technical notice (10m resolution)
- Detailed crop map for the pilot governorates (10m resolution)
- Geospatial databases on crops in the project pilot areas (2018 to 2022) and metadata notes.